How well do you know your Lab? Here are 10 facts you might have missed about the nation’s most popular dog breed.
1. Labrador Retrievers are considered to be the most famous dog in the world. Labrador breeds originated in Canada.
2. Colors of Labrador Retrievers are black, chocolate, and yellow.
3. Historically, Labs have earned their keep as a fisherman’s aide in work. They usually help in hauling the net or catching fish that went astray.
4. The modern breed of Labradors today stems from the Newfoundland or St. John’s dog. The latter is known for its coat that repels water, which is great for fishing in the icy cold temperature of winter seas.
5. Labradors enjoy holding things on their mouths, from tennis ball to sticks.
6. Labradors love being in the water mainly due to their ancestral roots, as a fisherman’s dog. A Labrador would ever so often want to take a dip.
7. Labradors are one of the most intelligent dog breeds in the world. They’re able to obey commands and please their owners. Raise your paws everybody, everybody raise your paws!!
8. Labradors are non-territorial and would easily befriend even strangers.
9. Labradors have webbed toes. This means that they are excellent swimmers and their webbed toes can act as snowshoes in the winter.
10. Labs have a steady temperament and boundless patience, making them great partners in search and rescue operations.