Biking with your dog? Definitely possible! And to ensure a memorable and enjoyable ride, here are five safety tips you must remember.
- Make sure that your dog is ready for it. Biking requires strength and endurance. Before going on a bike, have your dog checked by a veterinarian. Make sure that he is physically fit for this sport.
- Consider your dog’s size. Not all dogs are appropriate for biking. There are dogs that are difficult to spot on the road and can’t tolerate long distances. This is why most of the time, dog owners prefer to bike with their medium-sized pet dogs than the small ones.
- Wear the right outfit and use the proper equipment. Just like a cyclist, your dog also needs to wear safety equipment such as helmet, kneepads, and booties. It is likewise recommended that you use a safety leash that is particularly designed for biking and reflectors that make your dog more visible on the road.
- Bring snacks and water. Always have water and snacks with you to rehydrate and replenish.
- Train. If biking is really your thing and you want to do it with your dog, then ensure that he gets proper training. Doing this will make you and your dog fitter and faster cyclists.